A healthy diet plan is a common sense approach to eating right so you can feel good about yourself. It requires a change in thinking and a change in behavior.
The goal of a healthy diet plan is to replace junk food with vegetables, fiber, lean protein, eggs, yogurt and fruit to help you lose weight and feel great without food cravings, irritability or hunger pangs.
Eating the right foods can make you less stressed, more energetic and even smarter!
The beauty of a healthy diet plan is that the right foods will help the body perform better in times of need, whether at work or for your next workout.
Follow these sensible tips to get started on your way to losing weight and feeling great with a healthy diet plan.
1. Read Nutrition Labels
- A new study showed that women who read the nutrition labels on food products were more likely to lose weight than women who did not read the labels – even though they exercised.
- The best diet foods can be found in the outer aisles of the grocery store.
- Research shows that the slimmest women shop in the produce, meat and dairy sections of the grocery store and avoid the middle aisles which are loaded with processed foods that contain too much sugar and salt as well as chemical additives that do not support a healthy diet plan.
- If you do buy processed foods, pay attention to the amount of fat, sugar and salt you are consuming which can make a big difference in your health.
- Read the nutrition labels carefully. For example, it’s easy to exchange a high fat, high sugar yogurt for a nonfat, low sugar yogurt – and it may even taste better!
- As a guideline, select foods with less than 3 grams of saturated fat and less than 5 grams of sugar per serving. Also, try to keep the sodium levels around 2,300 mg per day if you are trying to lose weight.
- Some research shows you can speed up weight loss by cutting down on salt. Salt actually makes fat cells bigger and creates a vicious cycle of overeating by increasing cravings for more salty foods.
- If you have been struggling with weight loss and need a more structured diet, then read these weight loss reviews to find what works best for you.
2. Cook More Meals At Home
- It is important to give some thought to where your food is coming from, who is preparing it and how you are eating it.
- There is a lot to be said for being mindful when it comes to beginning a healthy diet plan.
- The French are notorious for enjoying their meals and drinking wine while many Americans eat fast food in their cars driving home from work.
- Generally speaking, those who cook their own meals tend to have a healthier diet and even weigh less than those who don’t cook.
- When you cook your meals at home you have more control over the nutrients and total calories consumed.
- If you are new to cooking at home, it’s a great time to learn and you will never regret it!
- Once you master a few healthy dishes, you can cook these fairly quickly for the entire family or for entertaining. Cooking more meals yourself also helps you appreciate and enjoy the food more since you used your own time preparing it.
- There will be times when healthy dieting is not possible, like when you are entertaining or traveling. Just take it in stride and return to your healthy habits as soon as possible. Consider these opportunities as a special bonus for keeping a healthy diet plan the remainder of your meals.
3. Make Easy Food Swaps
- There are many lower calorie food substitutes that are similar to the actual taste to lower total fat and calories.
- For example, a sandwich can be made with whole grain bread and mustard instead of white bread and mayo which can save significant fat and calories.
- Even better, swap the whole grain bread and use lettuce as if you were making a lettuce wrap. If you can’t resist snacks with your sandwich, eat baked chips instead of regular Lays potato chips for fewer calories.
- Try to avoid sodas and other sugary drinks not only for the sugar and calories but because they increase your risk for diabetes, metabolic syndrome and heart disease. An easy trade is to drink ice water or green tea which can boost your metabolism.
- An alternative to butter or margarine is olive oil. Buy a flavored olive oil like hot pepper or garlic, pour it into a small glass tupperware and refrigerate overnight. The next day you can use it in place of butter and save significantly on fat and calories.
Bonus Tip – Healthy Diet Plan
Making a commitment to healthy living begins with a healthy diet plan. Compared to all the other issues that affect our health, we have the greatest control over what we eat.
Besides losing weight and feeling great, a healthy diet plan can help lower your risk of various diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and some cancers.
Studies show that food can act as a powerful medicine. For example, citrus fruits contain a cancer fighting oil found in the skin of the fruit.
Remember that the best diet plan begins with choosing foods that offer the best balance of nutrients for the body. With our hectic schedules, good nutrition has become more challenging than ever.
To get started on your healthy diet plan, consider these practical tips …
– Consume more superfoods that offer amazing health benefits.
– Have protein at every meal to help keep your appetite under control.
– Eat more natural fiber for that sense of fullness.
– Add three servings of fresh vegetables to your daily meals.
– Snack on fresh berries, nuts and yogurt.
A healthy diet plan will help you appreciate the fine flavors of food. It can take several weeks to adjust but if you stay motivated, your body will thank you.